Here is a step by step guide to help you get online with your iPhone using OS 3.0.
- Go to this page: http://www.iphone-notes.de/mobileconfig/ It will send you an email. Download that email on you iPhone. It contains a profile to enable Tethering.
- Now go to your iPhone preferences, under Network you can enable tethering, activate it
- On your Mac Book Pro, go to the bluetooth preferences. Add your iPhone. I had to press "continue" on my Mac Book pro after accepting the pairing request on the iPhone. Waiting here resulted in an error.
- On you Mac Book Pro, connect to your iPhone using bluetooth
- Now on your Mac Book Pro, under Network Preferences, add a connection: "Bluetooth PAN".
You can now tether using your iPhone!
For tethering, an extra network interface is added, in my case "en5". To see what the IP-address of your connection is, open a Terminal and type:
In my case I see that I am using a private class (192.168.20.0/24) IP address. That means that T-Mobile in the Netherlands is NAT-ing my connection. Not a problem, but connecting back to my laptop is not possible from the internet.